We currently have an opening for an unpaid Publishing Intern. We will work with the Intern’s school to meet any requirements for the Intern to receive school credit for their work at Pyragraph. We would like the Intern to be available to help 5-8 hours per week. We are based in Albuquerque, New Mexico but happy to work with remote interns.
Applicants for our Publishing Intern position should be reliable and comfortable with a fast and dynamic work environment. We generate creative ideas freely, evaluate them efficiently, and implement them rapidly. Interns should be flexible, motivated, process-oriented, and good-humored.
This job description outlines the scope of work that may be handled by a Publishing Intern. We do not expect any individual intern to handle all the tasks listed below! Rather, we will refine and finalize the job description based on the skills and of the chosen Intern. Applicants with experience with a variety of social media platforms will be given preference.
To apply: Please send letter of interest, resume, and 2 writing or creative samples via the form at the bottom of the page. No calls please.
Publishing Intern will work with the Editor, Creative Director, Managing Editor and Publisher to help in any/all ways to ensure that:
- Pyragraph stories, events and the site in general are strategically promoted via social media.
- All sections of Pyragraph are continually populated with new quality content within the scope of Pyragraph’s editorial mission.
- The site features quality photos and graphics.
- Pyragraph has quality marketing materials such as in-house ads and graphics; event invitations; and other promotional media. Most such media will be digital but some may be printed (i.e. business cards and postcards).
Publishing Intern may help with editorial, creative, and/or business tasks. For editorial tasks, the Intern reports to the Managing Editor. For creative/graphic design tasks, the Intern reports to the Creative Director. For business/general tasks, the Intern reports to the Publisher. Most of the tasks below have written, step-by-step instructions and guidelines that will be provided to the Intern along with appropriate training.
Editorial Scope of Work
- Helping promote Pyragraph via social media.
- Contribute to the ongoing development and refinement of Pyragraph’s social media strategy and processes.
- Helping the Managing Editor collect necessary information from new Contributors, like mailing addresses, bio text, or other info that may have fallen through the cracks.
- Helping the Managing Editor enter, format and complete all necessary fields in WPAdmin for new posts/features from Contributors.
Creative/Graphic Design Scope of Work
- Helping conceptualize and create memes and viral marketing content, and distributing in social media channels.
- Finding photos and illustrations when necessary, including communicating with Creative Director about photos or illustrations that are needed.
- Helping with basic graphic design tasks using Photoshop, InDesign or other apps, such as cropping/resizing photos, adding text to photos, etc.
Business/General Scope of Work
- Helping the Publisher with managing Sponsors, such as emailing rate sheets; executing agreements; obtaining digital ad files; etc.
- Helping at events.